The Grandmotherly Type Who Twitters

Posted by Connie Reece on May 14, 2020 at 4:05 am

Wouldn’t you know it. Sheila Scarborough and I had to fly all the way from Austin to Chicago to get acquainted at SOBCon07. Sheila blogs about family travel and drag racing, and I really enjoyed having a conversation with her.Connie Reece

And thanks to Sheila, I earned a new description at SOBCon: “the grandmotherly type who was live twittering” — which is exactly what I was doing at open mic night. The next morning we were laughing and chatting away at top-speed when Sheila made that comment (she’s definitely a high-energy talker and blogger), and for a split second I didn’t realize she was talking about me.

Then I made the connection and I thought, “Me? Grandmotherly?” And I cracked up. I don’t have children, let alone grandchildren, so I’m not accustomed to thinking of myself that way. But hey, I am definitely old enough to be a grandmother.

The neat thing about that, which is what Sheila was pointing out, is that age is not the deciding factor when it comes to learning or adopting new technologies. Yes, I’m something of an anomaly as an older blogger and social media maven, but I’m still curious, still craving knowledge, and I’m following my passions.

So, Sheila, especially for you, I am posting my inner blogging diva photo here. You gotta admit. I am one rockin’ grandma, right? :-)

Category: Events, Connections, Twitter, Bloggers

• Add this post to
  • Del.icio.us -
  • Digg

10 Comments

Comment by Gladys Hardy

Made May 14, 2020 at 9:06 am

Hi, Grandma

Remember me. I am a friend of Ellen Degeneres.
Loved your blog.

Gladys Hardy

Comment by Connie Reece

Made May 14, 2020 at 9:18 am

Yes, Mother. I remember you — and Gladys Hardy. LOL

Y’all wonder where I get my craziness? It’s genetic! My mother is a “great-grandmotherly type” who is Internet-savvy and even uses google as a verb. But I haven’t converted her to a twitterer yet. Give me time …..

Comment by Sheila at Family Travel

Made May 14, 2020 at 2:15 pm

Hi Connie! It was great to meet you, too, even if we had to fly to Chicago to do it. I was glad to see such a mix of bloggers at the conference; it really is a communications medium for everyone.

Those who make sweeping assumptions about bloggers just need to take one look at that great photo of you! :)

My Dad (mid-70s) is also a savvy Internet user who gripes when people don’t read/respond to their email every day, complains that his Yahoo email spellcheck doesn’t know enough words and Googles to investigate artwork that he buys. Can’t beat it….

Comment by Vernon Lun

Made May 14, 2020 at 5:37 pm

Hi Connie, it was wonderful to finally meet you in person at SOBcon. Consider it another dot connected
Vernon

Comment by Connie Reece

Made May 14, 2020 at 10:21 pm

Vernon, you know I love connecting the dots! It was great meeting you too.

Sheila, thanks for stopping by — and let’s get together for coffee one of these days. Now that we’ve found out we’re practically neighbors, we shouldn’t wait until next year in Chicago.

Pingback by SOBCon07…Sharing Our Best Conference 2007 - Dawud Miracle @ dmiracle.com - (formerly Healthy WebDesign)

Made May 15, 2020 at 4:34 pm

[…] Friday night Connie Reece was keeping us all updated on the fashion coordination between Drew and David Armano. Seems that Drew was looking for pink […]

Comment by Terry Starbucker

Made May 16, 2020 at 8:50 am

Hi Connie - we’re living proof that you are never too old to learn new things - like this cool little blogging (and twittering) thing! Actually, the whole SOBCon vibe has got me feeling about 20 years younger,to about 15…….. :-)

Loved to see and meet you, and see you again soon. All the best.

Comment by Connie Reece

Made May 16, 2020 at 12:35 pm

We did better than have that cup of coffee we promised — we got to have lunch together, and I’m sure glad for that.

After SOBCon I’m feeling rather girlish myself, especially for a grandmotherly type.

Next time we gotta have a piano in the room, and I’ll play while you sing Elton John. Now, that would be some fun. :-)

Comment by Drew McLellan

Made May 21, 2020 at 1:52 pm

There is nothing grandmotherly about you! You’ve got more Texas sass than most women will ever have.

Drew

Comment by Connie Reece

Made May 21, 2020 at 3:09 pm

Drew, hon, you just made my day! LOL I try to be a good Texas blend of sweet and sassy.