Summer fun-library adult reading competition

Posted by Brenda Thompson on June 17, 2020 at 11:57 am

The Austin Public Library has initiated its first-ever Adult Summer Reading Program. I LOVE this idea. Being an avid reader all my life, competitive yet not athletic (I skipped gym class as much as possible) the reading programs were a contest I could always win.

The program has already begun and runs through Aug. 31. Complete an entry form for every three books you read or listen to. The library even has recommendations. And there are prizes. (There are also summer reading programs for kids and teenagers. The adult program is for ages 17 and up).

As geeky as it sounds, this is totally my idea of summer fun. All I need now is the perfect summer camp for adults.

Category: Just for Fun, In the News, Books

• Add this post to
  • Del.icio.us -
  • Digg

8 Comments

Comment by jon swanson

Made June 17, 2020 at 2:25 pm

um, isn’t PodCamp the adult summer camp?

Comment by Brenda Thompson

Made June 17, 2020 at 5:41 pm

So I’ve heard! Sadly, I missed the first such event in Texas. Did they have smores?

Comment by Carol Martin

Made June 17, 2020 at 8:43 pm

The best part of adults sharing what they are reading is the conversation about the books. “Did you like it? What did you like about it?” (Sometimes not liking a book is an even more interesting conversation.) Does the APL Summer Reading for Adults program have a way we can go beyond listing what we read, but adds exchanging ideas about the books? The APL staff is brilliant and I’m sure they are all over this!

Comment by Melissa

Made June 18, 2020 at 11:55 am

i see they’re opening a new library at Mary and 1st. how cool! it’s within biking distance.

Comment by jon swanson

Made June 18, 2020 at 10:52 pm

So Connie, you could ask us to list the books we are currently reading. It would be a cheap new post.

Comment by Connie Reece

Made June 20, 2020 at 7:38 pm

Jon, I’ve thought about doing that. In fact, if you’re sneaky and have checked out some of the pages listed in the Sidebar, you’ll find a new page called Bookshelf. I’m going to start recommending books on blogging and social media, and offer links for those who want to purchase. I LOVE finding out what people are reading. Just added the Books feature to my Facebook page for that reason.

Brenda, the summer program for adults sounds like fun. I am such a voracious reader … it wouldn’t be fair for me to enter a contest. LOL

Comment by Brenda Thompson

Made June 21, 2020 at 12:36 pm

Connie, let’s have a read-off! The competition sounds fun to me. I’m going to see what you’re reading right now. My book club celebrates 17 years this weekend, BTW.

Comment by Connie Reece

Made June 21, 2020 at 1:14 pm

Have two nonfiction books in progress right now: Ted Demopoulos’s book on Podcasting and Tim Ferriss’s 4-Hour Workweek. (I have modest aspirations of a 4-DAY workweek. LOL)

Just finished Paul Gillin’s The New Influencers. Excellent read. Once I get a break from this project I’m on, I’ll blog more about what I’m reading … and then we’ll see about that read-off. I’m willing to take you on!

Comments are now closed.

Enter your email address:

Two new workshops from Every Dot Connects:
Dec. 11 LinkedIn and Twitter
Dec. 18 Blogging Basics

Each session limited to six attendees.