We’ve Come a Long Way

Posted by Connie Reece on November 5, 2020 at 1:57 am

While I did not vote for President-elect Obama, I was pleased that the Austin American Statesman picked up this particular Twitter post of mine to run with their headline as they announced the historic news online. We’ve come a long way from the days of enforced segregation in the United States, and that is, indeed, cause for great celebration. — Connie Reece

Thank you, @conniereece, for this tweet. on TwitPic

Category: In the News, Twitter

10 Comments

Comment by Bryan Person

Made November 5, 2020 at 10:31 am

Amen, Connie. I am filled with hope today — and pride in our nation. I hope Obama’s election will continue to transform the nation, bringing us closer together rather than separating us.

Comment by Connie Reece

Made November 5, 2020 at 10:56 am

That is my hope too, Bryan — the “silver lining” in defeat for this card-carrying Republican. :-) I pray that as president Obama can set the tone for healing and reconciliation, and that those who helped sweep him to this historic victory will adopt the same attitude. I’ll do my part to bring my side of the aisle to the same viewpoint. What concerns me most, though, is that true racial reconciliation requires individual change of heart, not just a change of political leadership.

Perhaps we can use social media to help bring that about! Let the discussion begin …

Comment by Karen Swim

Made November 5, 2020 at 1:25 pm

Connie, well said. Political agendas aside, this day is one of pride and hope for all Americans. My hope is that those who were moved to action will not let those fires die out. Our problems can only be solved through the collective wisdom and actions of all. Election day is one day. Change will not come through one man and it will not come overnight. I hope that we take these good feelings and unite as a country to make real change happen.

Comment by Sonny Gill

Made November 5, 2020 at 1:25 pm

It feels so great to be a part of this day and have a true feeling of hope and passion inside for our country. I’ll admit it and say I haven’t had this feeling for a long time. I’m no pessimist, but there’s an aura in the air that I think will bring together this country a bit more, as a unit, not an individual.

It’ll be a tough road, for Obama or anyone else who would’ve been elected, but I’m glad to see it was him.

Comment by Thomas Ho

Made November 5, 2020 at 1:37 pm

On behalf of @lauraho http://twitter.com/lauraho I’d like you all to check her twittedstream today where she expressed the same sentiment from the point-of-view of a recently naturalized citizen

Comment by Ed Nicholson

Made November 5, 2020 at 3:07 pm

I agree with you, Connie. I was one who voted for the President-elect-but just barely. Not because it would break an enormous barrier-which it did, and that’s a great thing. Not because I thought he was the most honorable and honest person in the race-that was a tossup as far as I was concerned. But because I believed his was the ticket (both candidates together) that had the potential to acheive the daunting task of bringing a lot of people into a tent that at this point in history, needs to be huge and welcoming for all. His place in history is dependent on his resolve and his ability to do that.

Comment by Connie Reece

Made November 5, 2020 at 3:30 pm

Karen, you expressed it beautifully. (Dare I say “fiercely”? :)

It is going to take a lot more political participation in every single election, not just the presidential races. Takes more getting educated on the issues from sources other than sound bites. Takes more involvement, more dialogue with those of differing viewpoints — an epic search for common ground rather than pinpointing only the things that separate us.

But that requires a certain mindset, a willingness to set aside prejudices, and it requires an old-fashioned virtue called humility, not the arrogance so prevalent among the pundits that fuel our 24/7 media circus on cable networks or the snarkiness of some blog commenters and tweeters. (Until this election, I never realized how much heat could be conveyed in 140 characters.)

I confess to being quite frustrated with so many first-time voters in their 30’s and 40’s. Where have they been? Why on earth have they never voted until now? One woman said, “This was the first time I was ever inspired to vote.” I want to shake those people and say, “For over 200 years men and women have shed their blood to make sure you have the right and the responsibility to choose your leaders. That’s not inspiration enough for you to get out and vote?”

/end of rant. Because what I really want to talk about is how social media can help us get beyond the divide and *really* change things in this country.

Thanks for chiming in, Karen. You’re one of my social media heroes.

Comment by Connie Reece

Made November 6, 2020 at 12:19 am

Sonny, thanks for commenting. I’m smiling as I type, thinking of your enthusiasm and the hope and joy you feel. I’m happy that we have seen an African-American president elected in my lifetime. I don’t think we can overstate the significance.

Comment by Connie Reece

Made November 6, 2020 at 12:22 am

Thomas, I did check your wife’s Twitter stream and started following her. My sister had the privilege of being present when one of her co-workers became a citizen-what a happy occasion. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Comment by Connie Reece

Made November 6, 2020 at 12:38 am

Ed, you make such a good point that this historic election is just a start. One day the history books will judge Obama’s presidency and his ability to fulfill the promises of his campaign. I also appreciate your sharing the way you made the decision to vote for Obama.